Key Studies on Vitamin C
- Grape seed extract is observed to help defend the body against various fungal and yeast strains due to the presence of natural plant anti-fungal agents resveratrol and oligomeric proanthocyanidins.
- However, it is advised that Grape seed extract consumption should also be accompanied by cutting down on sugar-rich food, coffee, alcohol, smoking and other medication if necessary for treatment against Candida or other fungal infections.
- GSE was also showed to improve the epithelial layer in the intestines of mice (R1), and suggests a treatment for inflammatory bowel disease. These changes in gut epithelium were associated with the suppression of nuclear factor kappa-light-chain-enhancer of activated B-cell (NF-κB) signalling after treatment with GSE.
- GSPE co-treatment with thalidomide and carboplatin reduced brain and renal damage, oxidative stress, diminished cytokines, p53, neurotransmitters and biochemical parameters, and inhibited brain and renal cell apoptosis. The protective effects of GSE was associated with the minimisation of oxidative stress. (R2)
- R1. Yang, G.; Wang, H.; Kang, Y.; Zhu, M. J., Grape seed extract improves epithelial structure and suppresses inflammation in ileum of IL-10-deficient mice. Food & function 2014, 5 (10), 2558-63.
- R2. Yousef, M. I.; Khalil, D.; Abdou, H. M., Neuro- and nephroprotective effect of grape seed proanthocyanidin extract against carboplatin and thalidomide through modulation of inflammation, tumor suppressor protein p53, neurotransmitters, oxidative stress and histology. Toxicology reports 2018, 5, 568-578.